The structure of the Movement is the joint responsibility of the Secretariat, based in the Public Health Foundation of India, and the international Advisory Group, who act in accordance with the Movement’s Charter.
A self-funded Secretariat is responsible for the Movement’s administration. The roles of the secretariat are to:
- Support and advocate for the Movement
- Maintain the website, appointing editors who are responsible for specific sections
- Propose new members of the advisory group, with a focus on maintaining and increasing diversity
- Provide, from time to time, summaries and analyses of the Movement’s activities, including plans for future actions, which will be posted on the website for members of the Movement to comment upon and use (e.g. for the advocacy campaign)
- Plan and conduct the Global Mental Health summits
The first Secretariat (2011-2013) was hosted by the Centre for International Mental Health, University of Melbourne, led by A/Prof Harry Minas and Dr Ritsuko (Ritz) Kakuma.
The second Secretariat (2014-2016) is hosted by the Public Health Foundation of India, led by Mr Jagannath Lamichanne.